Thursday, February 14, 2008

First Ear Infection

Emily had her first ear infection last week. I had noticed she had not been feeling very well for a couple of days, but I thought it was due to her teething again. Well, last Thursday she woke up feeling very hot in the middle of the night. Of course, I forgot where I put the thermometer. I called the doctors office the next day and they said they wanted to see her. Come to find out, she had a huge ear infection. She was given the drug Amoxicillin.

We started the drug on Friday, by Saturday, she broke out in a huge rash. I called the office and they said she was having a non-allergic reaction to the medicine. The rash was even worst on Sunday. Finally on Monday, I decided not to give the Amoxicillin to her again. I called the office again since the rash had spread, the rash was redder, and the rash was really bugging Emily. The doctor switched the medicine and advised that she should be given Benadryl for a couple of days to help bring the rash down and to give her some comfort.

She still isn't quite her spunky, feisty self, but the rash has gone almost completely away. Below are the pictures of her on Monday morning. The pictures don't do the rash justice. Also, it had been a over 12 hours since her last dose of Amoxicillin.

2 comments:

Jill said...

That same thing happened to Kate! The rash started on her trunk and spread to the rest of her body. And she had a pretty good fever for a few days that Tylenol wouldn't break. I think she had Roseola, but the doctors think she was just allergic to the medicine. Anyway, I hope she's feeling better!

Brian, Emily, Charlie, and Lucy said...

Oh no! Our poor sweet Emmy:( I'm glad to hear she's doing better. Happy valentines day -- we love and miss you guys TONS!